Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolution - Take it Easy on Yourself

Ten hours to midnight and I've got resolutions on my mind. 

No, I've already got mine - I'm going to say an immediate yes to any decent offer or opportunity that comes my way - it's all of you I'm worried about.

Because, when it comes to New Year's Resolutions, so many of you, TOO many of you, start from the premise of "I am a loathsome creature and must be punished."  Or at least fixed.

How 'bout we let that go this year?  No, we can totally let it go.

I read your blogs, I've had dinner with some of you and let me tell you, you're lovely!  You're perfectly fine, just the way you are!  You don't need to lose weight, get more organized or finally alphabetize your sock drawer.

Your friends expect you to forget their birthdays, burn dinner and show up ten minutes late.  It's something they've come to count on.  It's soothing, in fact, in a strange and unpredictable world.  No need to change.

But resolutions are irresistible, aren't they? 

Well, then, don't resist.  Just, please, make resolutions that are fun.  Or exciting.  Something that will make the coming year better for you.  Something that doesn't involve fixing or punishing yourselves.

You don't need to do that.  Because you're fine.  You're lovely. 

You deserve a great New Year!

4 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

I think I am going to try and to resolutions about adding things in my life instead of taking things away and restricting. I haven't made me list. I'll do it tomorrow. Hmm, perhaps a resolution about procrastination. Happy New Years!!

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

Yes, definitely procrastinate more!

Happy New Year!

Threeundertwo said...

Hey thanks!

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

You're welcome!!