Friday, January 11, 2008

The Cool Kids Table

Remember in High School when we all wanted to sit at the cool kids table? Maybe it was just me. But I did. I really, really did.

I've grown up a bit since then, but now when I look around Blogland I see these sites and I wish they were mine. They're just so cool! So, rather than trying to sit at their table, I add them to my links list.

I'd like to introduce a few that are related to self-employment, in all its many guises.


First up is Creative Thursday. Marisa is an artist who also blogs and podcasts. Anyone who wants to make a living in a creative field will find inspiration from this site. Even if you don't consider yourself particularly creative, her essays are inspiring and the paintings always make me smile.


ProBlogger is for anyone who wants to make money from their blog. It has tons of content, including a whole section for beginners. My advice? Don't try to take it in all at once! I read a bit, take away a tip or two to implement and then go back later.

For a wonderful insight into what goes into starting a brand-new business from scratch, head over to Open a Bookshop, What Could Possibly Go Wrong? And follow the adventures of Simon and Tim, who decided, when the bookstore they were working in closed, to open one of their own.

In that same vein, is My Marrakesh in which a family work to open a boutique hotel in, yes, Marrakesh. The thrills! The worry! The absolutely gorgeous photography!

These four will get you started. If you have any to recommend, please email me! I'm always happy to find new blogs to recommend to my readers!

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Barb,
Thank you so much for including My Marrakesh here! yep, plenty of thrills and worry in building Peacock Pavilions. eek.