Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Let's Talk About Risk - And Failure

OK, you say, but what if things go wrong?

Well, things do go wrong. They will go wrong. If this idea horrifies you, you might want to re-read that last post.

Before starting a new venture, I'm full of excitement and optimism and also the knowledge that I stand a very good chance of falling flat on my face. I could lose money, I could make a total fool of myself, I could find out I actually hate this particular activity. Whatever.

I review the possibilities and promise myself that if it all goes bad, I will forgive myself. I will not regret the attempt. I will pick myself up and try something else.

When you know that you will be forgiven by your harshest critic (that would be you), it's so much easier to take a chance.

No comments: