Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Random Thoughts (Fuelled by Nyquil)

Bit of a cold going on. Been chugging Nyquil.  Not that it's helping, but I don't see that as a reason to stop.

The hair question occupied my thoughts quite a lot while I was in Paris.  My sister noticed that a) Parisian women have perfect hair and 2) we did not. 

Question: Why?

The first thought that occurred (and I still think it has some merit) is that the women with Bad Hair don't get the chance to procreate and so that line just dies out. 

But after my own head settled down, post-moment-of-internet-fame, I started to develop another theory.

And I think what it comes down to is that they like to be treated as individuals.  Hairs do.  And we English-speaking types don't do that.  We talk about "my hair"  or "having a bad hair day", as though they were a single, individual, lumpen thing.

The French? Pluralize!

Mes cheveux, people.  It makes all the difference!

So, now that I'm back in English-speaking Canada, the question is, do I go back to the singular and risk looking awful?

Or do I take to talking about "my hairs" and risk sounding like an idiot?

Tough choice!

 

No comments: