Friday, May 9, 2008

Fun at the Pharmacy Week - Part Five

Internet, you are my friend (this week, at least).  I put out a call for submissions and in comes a submission!  Very cool! 

If anyone feels bad for not sending in a story, it's not too late!  We could make this a regular and ongoing feature!  Expand it to cover incompetence in all its many aspects, wherever you find it! 

Just let me know...

And many thanks to my anonymous friend who sent this in.

My husband said he would like to go back in time and have a word with that clerk for you.

The story:

When I was a teenager, I had a yeast infection (I feel that I’m sharing too much already).  I was too embarrassed to tell anyone and I wasn’t sure what it was, so I took myself to the emergency room at the hospital a few towns away.  I didn’t want to go local in case I saw someone I knew. 

Once in the hospital, I got lost and unknowingly sat in the waiting area for the accounting/billing area rather than the emergency room.  The clerk called me over and said, “What can I do for you?” 

So I said, “I have an itch “down there” [I’m pointing in the general direction] and I’m not sure what it is.”   At this point I’m already horrified that I’ve had to tell someone about my “issue”.  

She looked at me and said, “Excuse me?”  So I slowly told her again.   Then she said, “Oh honey, if you need a Doctor, you need to go to the emergency room.  It’s down the hall to the right.” 

I was so mortified that I left immediately and cried in the parking lot! 

As an adult, I keep thinking of that woman telling her husband about her day.  I’m sure she didn’t want to hear what I had to say anymore than I wanted to tell her!

Ah – funny stuff now.  Definitely one of my most embarrassing moments!

 

No comments: