Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Help Desk

A couple of years ago, I tried to renew my passport and had it confiscated instead.  The person behind the counter, apparently, had issues with my citizenship.  I was advised not to leave the country until everything had been sorted out.

I hate feeling trapped, so I started in on the process of the Citizenship Inquiry.

In the application form was the question: Are you a citizen of another country?

I didn't know how to answer that.  If I said "No", they'd be all "Then why are you inquiring?" But if I said "Yes", well, I just didn't want to.

There was a number to call if you needed help. 

The person who answered had a lovely voice.  I stated my problem and he said, "Ma'am.  I don't know the answer to that question."

Well, why was he answering the Help Line then?

 

No comments: