Thursday, November 27, 2008

Worry - You Can Quit

Did you know you can give up worrying cold turkey, just like cigarettes or crack?  Well, I've done it.  Here's my story.

For most of my life, I was a huge worrier.  I mean, if it was an Olympic sport, my picture would be on cereal boxes.  No matter what the situation, I would jump straight from "This is a bit of a problem" to "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!"

Forgot to make the Visa payment this month?  WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!

The house we want to sell isn't selling? WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!

Bit of a headache?  WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

Well, you get the picture.  I spent far too much of my time flinging myself about and panicking.

Until one day, fairly recently, I was in mid-panic about something, I can't even remember what, when I had a moment of clarity.  And all my other panics over the years seemed to line up, one behind the other. 

And you know what?  None of the things I wasted so much energy panicking about actually killed us.  In fact, most of them just went away, without anything bad happening at all.

So why bother panicking?

I quit.  And I feel so much better for it.

 

2 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

This is so true. It's hard to stop about certain things though.

Flinging yourself about - lol.

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

You think that's just an expression....