Friday, May 16, 2008

Harry

So, after a week of hearing about the workload, the substitutions and things that can go wrong, you're probably wondering, "Is it worth it?"

Let me tell you a little story about one of our guests.

Harry was in his nineties and walked with two canes, due to severe and probably quite painful arthritis.  If he was in pain, he never let on.  He had a twinkle in his eye and a self-deprecating sense of humour that won me over instantly.

The secret to happiness usually turns out to be a series of small habits, one of which Harry explained to me after he and his wife had toasted each other with orange juice one morning at breakfast.

He turned to me and said with that smile, "Everything tastes better after an audible clink."

Try it yourself and see if he wasn't right.

Now, if that story made you tilt your head to the side and say, "Awww.... that makes everything worthwhile," you very well may have a bright future as a B&B owner.

If you said, "But the laundry!  And the egg white omelettes!"  I would recommend that you stick to staying in B&B's and little country inns.

And if you said, "Eat my breakfast in a room full of strangers?!!!?!?"  Then it's a life of hotels and room-service for you, my friend!

Or, y'know, motels and vending machine snacks, depending on your budget.

 

No comments: