Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Shayne Takes Care of Our Crap

I've written quite a few stories about people who are bad at their jobs. Incompetent, surly, whatever.

I thinks it's time to flip that coin over and introduce Shayne. What does Shayne do, you ask? Well, he, um. Shayne cleans out our holding tank.

Yes, THAT holding tank.

When you live in a rural area, as we do, there is no access to sanitary sewers. You have septic systems, or, if your property is too small, a holding tank.

Ours is under our driveway and every few months, it needs to be emptied.

I was pretty freaked out by the whole thing when we first moved in here. I'm a city girl at heart and this was a lot to get used to. I took a step back before flushing, JUST IN CASE.

But, three years in, it's not such a big deal. And, since it costs over three hundred bucks to get the tank emptied, we're really careful with our water usage.

Now, given that he works with sewage all day every day, Shayne could be forgiven for being a bit surly. Hell, I'd even forgive downright mean. But here's the thing.

He's one of the most cheerful people I know. And not "I've been standing around inhaling methane fumes all day" cheerful. Just nice. And helpful. And kind of funny.

Because, after cleaning out the tank and having a little chat, he heads back to his truck with a cheery wave, saying, "Just give me a call. I'll take care of your crap!"

And, OK, ew. But I forgive him that one, too.

No comments: